Help! My Water Pearl Beads Are Covered In Algae
Oh no! My water pearls beads turned green!! YUCK!
Quite a few customers have written to say that their water pearl beads in a vase with an orchid have been turning green, kind of like an algae growing. It is not a very attractive look for your home. Unfortunately, with certain conditions of where and how the orchid is placed in your home, it can happen.
If you ever have received or placed flowers in a vase with water and allow the leaves to sit in water and sun for a while the vase gets real murky, stinky and grows a sort of algae. The same thing happens with the orchid and the water pearl beads. It should not be placed somewhere where sun hits the vase all day long. Also, it has been very cold out and everyone has their heat on. Double whammy! Essentially, you are growing your own swamp! The orchid is surrounded by moss, which is covered by a plastic grower’s pot. The water from the pearl beads, sun and heat can cause the algae to grow. BUT!!!! All is not lost! The orchid can be pretty again. (PHEW!)
To remove the green algae:
- Carefully remove the orchid from the vase and place it in another container.
- In a colander, drain the beads and wash them with mild dish soap.
- Return the beads to the vase and at this point you can add water to them to allow them to expand.
- If the orchid feels a little dry add water to it.
- Gently place the orchid back into the vase.
Voila! No more green algae. 🙂